The church and the Benedictine abbey of Santa Maria in Finalpia are part of one of the most important monastic centres of Liguria from a religious and artistic point of view.
A first church that was dedicated to the Madonna is documented in the valley of Pia in 1170 when its confirmed that along with two mills it belonged to the Benedictine abbey of San Quintino di Spigno.
The importance of the medieval church is testified by the majestic bell tower in Finale stone with three orders of mullioned windows and a tall octagonal steeple, that are dated to the 13th century.
What remains of the late medieval religious building are only some gothic arches with columns and capitals in Finale stone that are preserved in some rooms situated between the 18th century apse and the sacristy.
Bookings for tours are available as part of the “Open door Open art” Project endorsed by MUDIF.
Abbazia benedettina di Santa Maria di Finalpia